Our therapists are able to assess various injuries that may require braces, crutches or orthotics in order to assist with an individual's healing and rehabilitation. We have many braces in stock and are able to special order braces depending on the individual's need. Examples of our services can include:
- Distribution of crutches.
- Custom orthotics.
- Pre- and post-operative braces.
- Knee or ankle braces for sprains and strains.
- Cervical collars.
- Lumbar and spinal support.
Upper extremity splints and orthotics are used for support, stability or immobilization of a diseased or injured joint. There are many types of splints including static, dynamic and static progressive. Static splints are utilized to place the elbow, forearm, wrist, hand or fingers into a resting position to allow for optimal healing of tissue and bone. Dynamic and static progressive splints add mobilizing tension to improve mobility while promoting healing and decreasing risk of scar formation. Mary Rutan Hospital Therapy & Sports Medicine's Occupational Therapy Department has trained therapists that create and develop customized splints based on client needs and physician recommendations.
Benefits of custom fabricated splints or orthotics are as follows:
- Easily adjustable for comfort.
- Adjustable to account for decreased swelling over time.
- Easy to clean.
- Able to get wet.
- Removable for bathing, wound care and gentle exercise if applicable.
- Custom-fitted for optimal outcomes, comfort and positioning.