Our Occupational Therapists are trained to complete a clinical assessment to evaluate physical functioning, vision, perception and processing abilities that could impact driving safety. Our driving evaluations consist of obtaining an occupational profile, completing standardized assessments and screenings, and summarizing findings to send appropriate recommendations to the referring physician. Recommendations may include appropriate referrals to outside sources for further evaluation with a Certified Driving Rehabilitation Specialist for further evaluation, driving simulation, and on the road assessment.
Patients who are appropriate for a driving evaluation:
- Older adults, including those with early onset dementia, Alzheimer's disease, or Parkinson's disease.
- Drivers with acquired disabilities, including physical or visual impairments or the effects of stroke, brain injury, or other conditions.
- Novice drivers with diagnoses such as spina bifida, cerebral palsy, autism, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Assessments utilized during the driving evaluation may include:
- DTVP-A: Developmental Test of Visual Perception-Adolescent and Adult
- Measures different but interrelated visual-perceptual and visual-motor abilities.
- Distinguishes between complex eye-hand or perceptual-motor action deficits.
- OT-DORA: Driver Off Road Assessment
- Collects information including driving history and projected needs, medical history, and medications.
- Assesses sensory functions, including vision and proprioception.
- Assesses physical function, including balance, strength.
- Evaluates cognitive function utilizing the OT Drive Home Maze Test, Road Law and Road Craft Test, and Mini Mental Status Examination.
- RDB: Rookwood Driving Battery
- Simple screen for the core neurophysiological skills needed to drive, including visual perception, praxis skills, and executive functioning.
- Further visual screening as warranted with appropriate referrals initiated for deficits in acuity, visual fields, and oculomotor skills necessary for driving.
It is important to note that we do not offer an on road driving assessment or driving simulation at this facility.
To initiate an Occupational Therapy Driving Evaluation, please call our clinic. We will need a referral from a physician with a diagnosis and request for a driving evaluation.