Makes 12 servings.
2 cups dried green or brown lentils
1 medium red onion, diced
1/4 cup capers (diced if large)
2 cups fresh arugula
1 medium cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Rinse lentils and drain. Place in a pot and cover with about 3 to 4 inches of water, bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes (lentils should still be slightly al dente).
- While the lentils are cooking, make the vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together (or shaking in a jar with a tight-fitting lid).
- When the lentils are cooked, remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process.
- Add lentils to a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Mix in the onion and capers.
- Add arugula, cucumber, walnuts and feta just before serving.
Serving size: 1/2 cup. Amount per serving: 210 calories, 11g total fat (1.5g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 23g carbohydrates, 8g protein, 6g dietary fiber, 360mg sodium.